Over the last two weeks I've basically stripped most of my online profiles of unnecessary information about me, and deleted "friends" what were really not friends. Some people have noticed and emailed me asking why. One reply went like this:
"Hello. I didn't delete my profile. Rather I removed a lot of information about me and photos of me, and links to my blog, etc... Why? A few reasons, but mostly just making some changes in my life that I feel will make me even happier. I’m working on making my life experience the most joyful it can possibly be.
With that in mind, I'm not interested in strangers online knowing as much about me anymore. Honestly thinking back it's kind of strange how much about me I had online. The only people who deserve to know that much about me are my real friends who legitimately care about me. This is the "information age", right? But I don't think people who don't know me need the 411 on me. Hence, the reason I took down a lot of information and removed the link to my personal blog.
I also decided that I’m not going to any gay establishments for about a year to see what difference that will make. I usually never have any fun the few times I go to them anyway, so I figure… why bother? I’ve been single now for 9-10 months and have realized a lot of things, but the most important is that I only have so much energy. And I want to dedicate my energy to higher energies that appreciate mine, and return the same. I am embarrassed to think how much time I’ve spent online or at a gay bar over the years, tolerating people who are mean, flaky, superficial, insecure, etc…
I’m too old for that nonsense now. No need for me to be around that anymore. I need to have the personal self-worth to see that I deserve better. So there’s your long winded answer! HA HA"
So begins my little experiment! I'm going to see how I feel, paying careful attention to my emotions, as I cut out the seemingly superficial social bar/club part of the gay community. I will still have the Denver Gay Professionals Happy Hour that I host monthly, and I will still go private or public "gay gatherings"... no problem. I just want to avoid the gay bar/club experience that never gave me much pleasure over the last few years to begin with. Seems like a smart choice... I'm sure many will be critical of me. But it's okay... I'm not doing this for them. This is for me.
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment